It has been another busy week at Hollinwood but we are all glad that the snow has finally gone! Mrs Ismail was not impressed when she woke up on Thursday morning to see her car covered in the white stuff again but thankfully it didn’t last long.
This week myself and Mrs Millard have spent a huge amount of time observing the teachers. It is always great to get into classes to see what the children are learning and how well they are progressing at Hollinwood..
- Mr Heap’s class were learning all about measure and were able to use rulers to measure lines and then discuss what they had found out.
- In Miss Louden’s class it was great to see the ‘Talk for Writing’ training that all primary staff recently had in action. All the class could recite the story of ‘Farmer Duck’ using the story map they have created together as a class.
- In Mrs Lomax’s class the pupils were learning about what animals eat and they were able to identify if they were omnivores, herbivores or carnivores. I also liked Mrs Lomax’s link to the Gruffalo which gripped all the children’s attention.
- Finally, I went up to see Miss Meadows’ class working on a very difficult topic, ‘Extreme Earth’. The class had been looking at how a volcano erupts and the effects that this has on the towns and villages near it. It was great to see the pupils all engaged in such a complicated topic.
I am really looking forward to next week when I will be observing more of the teachers and finding out what they have been up to. This week it is the turn of Miss Grimsley’s Sensory Reception group to share their work with us..
This week we have had lots of fun in Maths learning about big and small. The children have enjoyed exploring the sensory tray looking at big and small objects. They have worked super hard ordering teddy bears from big to small..
On Tuesday we did a sensory PE lesson where we showed the children lots of different ways that they can relax..
We all loved lying on our new carpet looking up at the sparkly lights..
Daniel and Myla explored the sensory den and got very excited looking in the mirrors and at the different colours..
This term we are looking at fur, skin and scales and we started our topic with last week’s trip to the zoo. The children thoroughly enjoyed looking at their pictures from the trip..
We then had a lovely time getting very messy searching through the sand to find our own zoo animals!
Let’s have a look at who our SEAL Superstars and our Stars of the Week are..
- Mrs Dunsdon’s class:
Star of the Week: Madison for fantastic work during Talk 4 Writing..
SEAL Superstar: Jake for being able to say that he is good at numbers..
- Miss Grimsley’s class:
Star of the Week: Mia for doing some fantastic counting on the new number carpet in class..
SEAL Superstar: Fatima for feeling happy (proud) for having good behaviour this week
- Mrs Lomax’s class:
Star of the Week: Marcus for doing some excellent learning in topic and being able to describe a mammal
SEAL Superstar: George for feeling proud and happy when he has done well..
- Mr Corrigan’s class:
Star of the Week: Ivy for outstanding honesty, going to tell a teacher when she made a mistake..
- SEAL Superstar: Charlie for trying his best and being proud of his work..
- Miss Louden’s class:
Star of the Week: Jenna for working really hard in Maths with her take away sums
SEAL Superstar: Brooke for being kind and considerate towards Miss Downing
- Miss Parkinson’s class:
Star of the Week: Joshua for fantastic effort in PE..SEAL Superstar:
- Mr Heap’s class:
Star of the Week: Vincent for fantastic independent work in Maths and Maisha for using a range of conjunctions within her writing..
SEAL Superstar: Nimra for talking about things that she likes and things that she is good at..
- Miss Shin’s class:
Star of the Week: Summer for super work in Maths
Well done, everyone! I would like to finish this week’s blog by wishing Leisa Williams, our Primary Pastoral Manager, the best of luck at the POINT Annual Conference tonight where she has been nominated by some of our parents for POINT’s ‘Passion for Parents’ Awards.
Have a great weekend everyone,
Click here for this week’s news from Graham
You can find all our previous blog entries here