The internet is great for communicating, research and playing games but it requires an understanding of safety and security. This session will look at some of the risks involved when using computers, mobile phones or surfing the internet. We will also look at the different measures to take to secure our personal information.
Task 2: Watch the short film below.
Will this be the future?
Task 3: Go to the Sorted website
Click on the different silhouettes to find out about security and protection.
Answer these questions:
– What is a Firewall?
– What is anti-virus software?
– What is Spyware?
– What is Trojan?
– What can you do about Pop Ups?- How can you prevent SPAM or Phishing Scams?
– What makes a safe password?
Task 4: Practise each security measure:
– Check Firewall is switched on
– Locate security centre to check anti-virus is installed
– Locate email phishing filter icon
– Report any junk mail as phishing
– Turn on Pop Up Blocker in web browser
– Know how to change security settings in web browser
Task 5: Watch the video on misuse of personal devices
– What is the message from this video?
– How can personal devices be misused?
– What can you do to make sure your personal information is not misused?
TOP TIPS FOR A SECURE DEVICE:
Make sure your Firewall is turned on.
Install anti-virus software.
Use strong passwords with numbers and letters.
Have different passwords for different websites.
Change your password regularly.
Only open email attachments from people you trust.
Regularly back up your files, photos etc.
Switch browser security settings to high.
Install recommended updates.
Turn on Pop up Blocker
Don’t post any pictures, videos or messages that you wouldn’t like your parents to see.